Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rocket Building Competition


Hello everyone.  Pluton here to tell you about the Tiny Moonraker rocket building competition held at Space Frontier earlier today.

I arrived on schedule, at 2 pm SLT, at the Space Frontier Sandbox, where there were some tiny rocketeers present.  I knew this contest was targeted at tinies, but when I actually found myself surrounded by little adorable bears, bunnies, and dragons I felt like cuddling them, a feeling which was unexpected and strange.  They were very cute, all done up in clever space suits and outfits befitting the occasion.


I had never been surrounded by so many tinies.  I had met a few in isolated situations, but being in the presence of so many gave me a sense of other-worldliness, and once everyone gathered at the actual launch site things got even stranger.  There were so many tinies all around that I felt nervous about walking, concerned that I might crush one of them!  Then they began to remind me of the mischievous creatures of the Gremlins films!  But not for long.  The tinies were bundles of chaotic energy, just like those nasty green creatures, but certainly not mischievous and bent on destruction.  No, these tinies were highly imaginative and bent on creating, as I was soon to learn.


UKBIKER Betsen, and other tinies, awaiting launch time


The rocket creations were fantastic works of imagination and absurdity.  I was unable to capture all the rockets on film, so the following is not a complete listing of all the rockets launched.


Copper Mistral's copper rocket


Etherea Parrot's giant bottle rocket


Catten Carter's retro-futuristic rocket


Hannibal Salamander's half scale Saturn V rocket


Xanda Bracken's rocket animal


Skinty Sparta's Tiny Astronomical Space Accidents (TASA) rocket


Rizzo Taurus' udderly fabulous rocket (wish I had a better pic)


SHAMUS Carter's sim transporting rocket


SHAMUS ready for takeoff


Vic Titanium's carbonated sugar-water propellant rocket


Azelle Mavendorf's double booster lounge pad


patrich Merlin's baby bottle space booster


Raymond Nightfire's ballistic V-2 creation


There was a great moment I wish I could have captured on video.  Skinty Sparta's rocket initially malfunctioned and exploded!  Fortunately Skinty was unharmed, most certainly due to the flawless design of her crew cabin and flight suit.


Skinty ready for take off


Mayday!  Mayday!


Skinty protected in the crew cabin!


Hurrah!  Skinty is unscathed!

After an hour of fun rocket launches it was time for the judges to deliberate over the contestant's efforts.  Fifth place was awarded to Raymond Nightfire, fourth place to Lara Vidor (not pictured), third place to SHAMUS Carter, second place to Azelle Mavendorf, and first place to Gadget Jun.


The best rocketeers of the day


Gadget Jun and her winning rocket


Special Honorable Mention was bestowed upon JiKun Aero who missed the opportunity to launch a multi-stage rocket that would have surely impressed the judges.

If you would like to see the rockets visit the Space Frontier Sandbox.  Some rockets are launch capable, some are copyable.  Feel free to roam and explore.

My sincere apologies go out to all the rocketeers whose creations were not represented in this entry; Differ Darwin, UKBIKER, Tiamat, Lara Vidor, and PsychicMediumMeri Indigo.

This event was one worthwhile attending, and certainly one worth repeating.  I hope Krull Aeon, Rocket Sellers, and all the community of Space Frontier do it again.  Thank you all for working so hard to make this happen.

Thanks go out to all the tinies who participated.  Your creativity is amazing, and your energy is boundless!

Sincerely,

Pluton Karas

3 comments:

  1. i really like the way you have found your blogging voice so quickly, Pluton :-)

    the authenticity of your tone when you write truly conveys a palpable sense of being there.

    thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an amazing contest! Since I'm new to the SL sphere, I wonder how the rockets were created and why, in a virtual world, some made it and some didn't? My favorite was Azelle Mavendorf's. Although my opinion is solely based on appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Thanks for demonstrating,anyway I have big and tall suits product if you are interested just simple drop a click.

    ReplyDelete