Sunday, February 15, 2009

Rocket Science




Hello everyone.  I have not been touring much recently, but tonight I got on and immediately found this fantastic event.  This one's for all the rocket scientists out there.

Over at the Space Frontier Sandbox I found a rocket building contest.  Everything you need to enter is provided when you click on the poster.  You get an already constructed rocket, with scripts included, and a notecard with competition guidelines.

The competition is open to anyone who would like to build a rocket, either using the rocket provided or one entirely created from scratch.  The are only two restrictions.  First, "no pre-scripted or pre-purchased items" are allowed.  Second, the "rockets must be created by the original participant."  Beyond this anything goes.

Physics are important in this competition, as I quickly learned when I tried to ride the rocket.  After spending a few frustrating minutes I succeeded in standing atop the gray vehicle.  When I launched, however, the rocket tipped and blasted off, struck a structure, skimmed over the land and ended up underwater.  Fortunately it had no warhead within, and the field was empty of avatars, otherwise I hate to think what may have happened!  There was no catastrophic event.  In fact it turned quite humorous as I ran and flew around trying to capture a photograph of the accident.

The launch date of the competition is Saturday, February 21, with a slated time of 3 pm SL time.  I am looking forward to seeing all the different entries blast off into the clouds above.

Sincerely,

Pluton Karas

1 comment:

  1. are you going to enter the competition?

    :-)

    even if you don't, i think it'd be a great event to cover :-)

    ReplyDelete